Sunday, September 11, 2011

THE MEDIA IS IN CHARGE!!!







Recently in one of my public administration tutoring session we were discussing the importance of the information bill in South Africa and it got me thinking. Everyday I read different local newspapers articles and i have come to the point where i criticize the media for what they publish everyday. Each one of you have to ask themselves that, Is the media giving us what we have to know or waht they actually think it is right or they give us what they think we have to know? I understand the fact that their profit oriented but one have 2 ask him/herself that, what impact does this have on the country? It looks like everyone is doing it for him or herself. Do we really need to know about what Julius Malema everyday?

 Don't get me wrong. I am no fan of Malema opinions. Let me illustrate something for you that will give you a clear indication of what i am saying. Recently, i read a local newspaper which i cannot disclose its name. On the front page the have Julius Malema talking about Nationalisation of mines in South Africa but on page 10 they have Jacob Zuma saying that nationalisation of the mines is not the ANC policy. You decide on the moral perspective that which story is worthy of the front page. Do we really need to known that Julius Malema has this great economic opinion when it is not even necessarily? If yes do they have to repeat it everyday? Did we need to know? If we did then, how does it help us and the entire country? Does build this country or it cause more isolation in this country?

I mean, we can agree that in this country there is no unity between races. People we need to wake up. In my 1st year in a sociology class I was taught the theory critical thinking. It simply contends that things are not what they seem to be. Is what the media reporting true? Do they really give us the story or they just give us what they think the story is? Do the exaggerate things? There was a helicopter crash at UCT middle campus recently and it was not as bad as it was reported. I went there myself, i know but what they local newspapers are reporting is another story with some extra topping. South Africans, wake up. Things are not what they seem to be. Ask yourself if the media is giving us the story the way it is or they just give us what they think we have to know? It’s up to you... I am just laying the foundation. You think about it...It is really up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment